We’ll be Together Fur-ever!
Adopting a dog is a serious commitment. We strongly encourage anyone thinking about adding a new member to their family to spend some time doing research to be ready for this commitment. We are also happy to work with you to figure out what kind of dog is best for you. If you want to have a dog in your home but aren’t sure you can make the 10-20 year commitment, consider participating in our foster program and other volunteer opportunities.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT WE CURRENTLY HAVE A BACKLOG OF ADOPTION APPLICATIONS THAT ARE IN VARYING STAGES OF THE APPROVAL PROCESS AND A WAITING LIST OF APPLICANTS WHO HAVE ALREADY BEEN APPROVED TO ADOPT. IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ADOPT AN OLDER DOG (6 & UP) OR A SPECIAL NEEDS OR BEHAVIORAL DOG, WE WILL TRY TO EXPEDITE THE APPROVAL PROCESS.
PLEASE ALSO BE AWARE THAT EVERYONE IN THE RESCUE IS A VOLUNTEER AND WHILE WE WOULD MUCH RATHER SPEND ALL OF TIME HELPING OUR PUPS, LIFE DOES GET IN THE WAY. THEREFORE, WE ASK THAT YOU BE PATIENT WITH THE PROCESS. THE DATE OF YOUR APPLICATION (AND NOT THE APPROVAL DATE) IS WHAT WE USE TO DETERMINE WHICH FOLKS HAVE BEEN WAITING LONGER.
The application process consist of several steps:
- Submit Adoption Application. Please answer the application questionnaire as honestly and completely as possible. There is a $20.00 non-waivable and non-refundable application fee to ensure applicants are committed to the adoption process. This fee will not count towards the adoption fee. Our rescue reserves the right to reject any application. Please keep in mind that some of the dogs posted on Petfinder.com may not be cleared for adoption quite yet and others may be adopted by applicants who applied prior to you. The Adoption Team cannot share information about a specific dog with you until you have been approved to adopt from BTRFL. Therefore, please follow the application process to the end before calling or emailing for information about a particular dog. If you wish to be considered for a particular dog, please include the dog’s name on your application or email contact@BostonRescueFlorida.org if you have already submitted an application. The Adoption Team works with applicants in the order that they applied when looking to find good matches with the dogs we have available at that time. As a result, if you wait to apply until you see a dog posted that you like, that dog may be adopted by someone who submitted an application before you.
- Application Review. One of our volunteers will review your application and check your veterinary references. If you are renting, we will also need to contact your landlord to ensure your new family member will be approved.
- Phone Interview. A volunteer will contact you to go over your application. This may take a SEVERAL WEEKS depending on the number of applications we are processing at this time.
- Home Visit. We will then set up a home visit to verify your home is a safe place for a Boston. The home visit is also a time where one of our volunteers can answer any questions that you may have and discuss safety precautions with you. Your location and the location of our available volunteers may impact how quickly the home visit can be completed.
- Finding the Right Match. Finally, we will work with you to find the right Boston for your home. PLEASE BE ADVISED that we currently have a waiting list of applicants who have been approved and are waiting to be matched with a dog to adopt. At this time, the waiting period to adopt could be as much as 6 months or longer, depending on the age of the dog you are seeking to adopt and the makeup of your household. The wait is longest for younger dogs since the majority of our applicants want younger dogs. Additionally, for those households with children and/or other pets, a some of our dogs may not be a good match. Therefore, it’s possible the wait time for your home could be a little longer than for some other homes. The GOOD NEWS is that we have new dogs coming into our rescue all the time. Often, things move so quickly that we do not have an opportunity to post them for adoption before they are matched with a waiting applicant. Therefore, if you are willing to be patient, we encourage you to apply now instead of waiting to see a Boston that you like on our website before deciding to submit your application. We are confident that with some patience, we will be able to help you find the perfect Boston Terrier for your household.
- Adoption Agreement. Once the right match has been found for you, we will send you an adoption agreement with important terms and conditions that you will need to follow.
- Dogs will be current on age appropriate vaccinations,
- Dogs are heartworm tested and are current on their heartworm medications
- Adopters receive a complete copy of all medical records.